4/9/10

Love that site

I'm so glad I hosted my website. I've been making a few CDs of my DJ mixes recently but I'm trying to host most of my stuff online because honestly, who uses CDs these days?

Now by using the very web 2.0ey soundcloud I can share my music with aaaaall the world. My next step is to set up a soundcloud dropbox. This will allow others to send me music that they're listening too or making. Then I can play them in my DJ sets, sharing to even more people who can go to my website and give me their music. Time to harness the collective intelligence of the procrastinating youth.

Honestly this is one of the things I've been having trouble with in terms of music. Searching for new music takes a long long time and unfortunately this is something I'm not gifted with at the moment, the ability to pretty much outsource a lot of music searching to friends is going to same me big time.

Another problem I face is that after extended periods of time, you start to develop a strong idea of what you're looking for, so much so that you can overlook other great music that doesn't fit into your category. That's why I'm always glad to have a fresh set of ears to help broaden the sounds of my sets.

Aside from soundcloud my other fantastic web 2.0 tool is the ubiquitous facebook. When it comes down to it, bigger is better and facebook is the biggest. By hosting profiles to a huge majority of my target demographic, facebook allows me to share my music with anyone who cares to listen.

The features of facebook's artist profiles are fantastic. As the administrator I can actually pull apart my following into demographics and compared popularity between ages, gender, nationality, etc. I can see what aspects of my page are most popular (pictures, videos, etc.) and analyse activity over time. This is, I admit, somewhat limited in use with my narrow following but it is nonetheless fascinating.

Finally, my most loved web 2.0 tool is the soundcloud app for facebook. Now everyone can actually access my music from facebook. Allowing me to really tap into facebooks vast resource of social connections.

0 comments:

Post a Comment