3/25/10

d-wils.webs.com

I have created an entire online exhibition to share my insight in the field of audio and visual performance. I have recently become immersed in a world of technology revolving around performance, the using of sound and light to create a place to detach from society. Most people come into contact with this style of performance at nightclubs, concerts and music festivals, however, is ever becoming more commonplace. Access to technology is becoming cheaper and now it is possible and affordable for many to start to create their own performances that can be showed at any sized event. Even in Canberra groups such as Univibes are getting together, pooling talents and resources to create amazing shows using sound, light and vision out of ordinary house parties. It is this subculture of technologically driven young people that I explored with this website.


Using my own forays into audio visual performance as a base I have created the startings of a knowledge base that people can refer to in order to understand and begin to learn about digital performance. It is easy to see the cultural context of this website; young people are always looking for new and exciting forms of expression. It only makes sense that the youth of today are interested in digital performance, considering that they have been born into a world where everything is slowly being digitised. Young people are constantly adapting, learn new ways of doing things digitally. From the humble use of the internet as a research tool, adapting to a new social networking platform or learning software to aid their learning, kids know technology. Explanation and understanding of this digital subculture should then come easily to a child of the digital generation. To polish of the website I added some other fascinations of mine which I believed relevant. I think what makes my website successful is the fact that it not only gives information about a wide range of topics but also the account of someone who themselves is still learning. A basic and broad understanding for the masses who know little.


I set out to explain not only the software aspects of performance but also how this interacts with the hardware to create a finished product. This obviously is not an easy task so building the user interface simplicity was key in mind. Not only did I want the website pleasing to look at but making sure my audience was not confused before they even read the content shaped the aesthetics of the website. Separating content onto numerous pages was an easy choice. I used style sheets to keep formatting consistent and created a sidebar for navigation using a table in the HTML. A link to my blog and facebook API were also included. The facebook page badge not only provided a link to my performance profile but also displays recent updates to my website. I look to expand the content on my website in the future, something I will do as I myself continue to learn more. I also plan to add a image gallery, probably using Flicker’s API, once I collate my images online.


Images used can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tobysimkin/3787228445/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tobysimkin/3787228899/in/set-72157621812928763/

http://www.casa-laserlight.com/images/laserlight_DCRV/DC-F.JPG


0 comments:

Post a Comment